Monday, April 27, 2009

old people

What is this?
I AM DOING MY BLOG BEFORE 11:30 AT NIGHT!

Today I discovered that I have a mad love for old people.
Usually they kinda creep me out and make me uncomfortable, becasue they always want to make awkward small talk.

I DO NOT LIKE SMALL TALK. I avoid it at all costs. I would rather sit in silence than "make small talk" (which is just a stupid phrase"

Small Talk Partner, "Hello"
You, "Hi."
STP, "How are you?"
You, "Well, and you?"
STP, "Pretty good."
You, "..."
STP, "Well, How is school going?"
You, "Good."
STP, "Well, thats good."
You, "..."
STP, "..."

This is what small talk is to me.
Pointless questions followed by pointless awkwardness.
I feel that some people create REAL conversations our of small talk, but with me that rarely happens. And when it does, I take it as a sign that the person I am talking to and I could be really good friends.

BUT BACK TO OLD PEOPLE

Small talk with old people is even worse than regular small talk, because they try to ask you questions that they feel are "good questions" for the "younger generation."
Mostly things along the lines of, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
WHICH IS NOT SOMETHING I LIKE TO THINK ABOUT IN MOST SITUATIONS!

But today, I helped out with my schools Senior Citizen Prom.
This mostly consisited of going to the grocery store way to many times and spending way to many times deciding if old people like chips or pretzels more (in case you were wondering, they liked the chips better), buying 6 cakes, making 834139412343413 pots of coffee, and watching old people be cute.

There were about 70 seniors from the community and local nursing homes and they were so precious. They told fun jokes, and liked our sub-par food, and put up with our cafeteria, which was around 100 degrees today.
AND THEY DANCED! They tangoed and waltzed and jitterbugged and electric slide-ed.
It was much better than the normal school dance, which consists of alcohol induced sleazy-ness, dresses that are way to short, and dancing that really shouldn't count as dancing.

It was really fun, and really nice to realize that old people actually like most young kids.
One told us that "Your parents have done a very good job raising you."

I MEAN, HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THAT!?

Well I have to shower, find something to eat, and do all the homework I have put off.
I CANNOT WAIT FOR SUMMER (except that whole hating the heat thing)

2 comments:

  1. Your "old-people" party reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a bunch of people in a nursing home turn into kids again. It was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahah.

    the twilight zone episode, my dance, or my blog?

    ReplyDelete