Wednesday, May 6, 2009

yarn

Today, Katherine (I really do have other friends, I just seem to do the most interesting things with her...) and I went to the local yarn shoppe. Inspired by our recent jaunt to the Sheep and Wool Festival, we have decided to knit more.
She needed yarn, and I knew where the store was, so, after school, we walked a mile to find her some yarn.
The store is a very small, local business, and we were the only customers in the store for the 30 minutes we were there. It was very interesting. We over heard the boy who worked there talking on the phone about, "Bunny rabbits... my girlfriend...allergic."

We are not really sure how these phrases were connected, and it provided us amusement on the way home:
Was he allergic to his bunny rabbit, and was telling his girlfriend?
Was his girlfriend allergic to bunny rabbits?
Was his bunny rabbit allergic to his girlfriend?

This poor shop boy was also trying to be helpful, and tried to engage Katherine in a conversation that went along the lines of:
SB-"So what are you planning to make with this yarn?"
K-"A scarf"
SB-"Hmmm...do you have a pattern in mind?"
K-"...no..."
SB-"Oh, well you might be cutting it a bit close, I usually go with 300 yards rather than 200 yards for a scarf."
K-"Mhm. Okay."

At this point, Katherine gets her change and rushes out of the store.

After we leave the store, she asks me, "WHAT ON EARTH WAS HE TALKING ABOUT!? His mouth was moving and words were coming out, but HE WAS TALKING GIBBERISH."

Katherine has trouble understanding "yarn-speak".

After she left, I started my own knitting project. I haven't knitted in so long, and it might turn out to be a complete failure, but I am trying to knit a hat out of this insane, bright orange yarn.
Instead of doing my homework, I am knitting, listening to Jim Dale read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and enjoying the sound of rain hitting my window.

'Tis quite lovely.

SOPHIE

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! You're getting back into knitting! What is this orange yarn of which you speak CALLED?

    If you ever need any knitting-related help, let me know. Oh, and ravelry.com is a great knitting-forum-related site. There's a Teen Knitting Group that's pretty neat. There's a waiting list to join, but it's only a few days.

    (I feel like I'm persuading you to join a cult XD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE CULTS!


    except not really.
    they kinda scare me, except when they are related to crafty things.

    =]

    and this orange yarn.
    well. i brought it at the wool and sheep show and it is called...
    I don't know, there are a lot of name-like things on this label.

    ReplyDelete