Monday, April 5, 2010

BEDA: Sophie celebrates Easter

Today, as mot everyone knows, is Easter. As I am not particularly religious, I spent my day reading Huckleberry Finn, searching for Easter eggs, taking practice AP exams, and taking pictures of the odd flowery plat that has taken over our back yard. Other highlights include eating delicious spring vegetables in the presence of my grandparents, banishing my computer to my mother's sock drawer, and consuming way to many sweettart jelly beans.

Last night, I made a to do list for today, and I was able to complete almost half of the things on it. Which is rather impressive for me. The things I was not able to do included going to the drugstore, waking up early, and eating healthy.
Ooops. THERE IS ALWAYS TOMORROW.

One of the things that I was able to to was write an "application essay" for a mission trip I am going on this summer to El Salvador. I am not sure what the purpose of the essay was, put it sure was interesting. I have included it for your reading pleasure.

In my life, I attempt to do two things: learn more about the world and help other people. I feel that going on this mission trip to El Salvador will be one of the first times I have ever truly been able to do both of these things. I want to go to this new place, and learn all that these people can teach me, and help them to the best of my ability.
This mission trip revolves about support of the world community, and to able to successful, everyone needs to work together for a common goal. To help the people and the communities we visit, I will need the support of my fellow participants and the best teamwork from myself. I will need to be patent, supportive and kind. I need to be understanding and outgoing. I need to listen. I need to help. I need to work to make the experience meaningful for everyone. As I embark upon this mission to El Salvador, I will push aside my perceptions about the way the world works, and remember to be open minded. I will give up what I know, for the sake of learning more. I will give my time and effort to help people change their lives. I will use my personal skills of organization and leadership to help everyone get the most out of their experience. I will use my strong communication skills to unite people and keep conflict to a minimum.
As we prepare for this trip, I am filled with the excitement of new opportunities, of new people, of new viewpoints, and new ideas. I am hoping to learn more about humanity and myself.


Well, I believe that is all for today...


Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment